Rangers boss Steven Gerrard praises Alfredo Morelos and says he has ‘no doubt’ he will score goals for Gers


JUST a few weeks ago it seemed Alfredo Morelos was more interested in scowling than scoring. Against FK Shkupi in Steven Gerrard’s first competitive game in charge, the Colombian striker couldn’t have look more disinterested. Morelos celebrates his goal against WiganWillie Vass His performance in the second leg in Skopje wasn’t much better with Morelos once again appearing completely detached and totally disheartened but after 180 minutes of moaning and groaning came the stinging blast from his new gaffer. Gerrard rounded on his misfiring forwards after his side’s goalless draw in Macedonia. Slamming Gers’ lack of quality in the final third he ordered his strikers to shape up or ship out. The verbal volley lit the fires under Morelos with the 22-year-old responding with two goals in his last two games. The forward headed home his second goal in as many gamesWillie Vass Back among the goals and back playing football with a smile on his face, Gerrard sees a player happy at his work. And last night the Gers gaffer predicted this most unpredictable of talents will only get better. Gerrard said: “What I said after Macedonia wasn’t to any one individual player. It was more to us as a group going forward that we had to improve in order to deliver in the final third and create chances. “I will never, ever criticise an individual for not scoring goals. The important thing is that they are in the right places to finish the chances. “I’m still learning what floats his boat. He’s still getting used to me. He is working hard on his English, but I see him smiling and enjoying his training and having watched from outside and what I am seeing now, I think you can see a different player. “He is looking at it. If we can keep him fit and sharp I have no doubt he will score goals for this football club. “He is a threat and someone you wouldn’t like to play against when he is at it.” Rangers host NK Osijek hoping to a book their place in the third qualifying round of the Europa League. Gerrard has praised the 22-year-oldWillie Vass Thanks to Morelos’ goal in Croatia, Gers hold a slender 1-0 lead. Gerrard insists, however, the tie is far from over. That’s why he’s banking on a famous European night at Ibrox to help see his side over the line. He added: “What I will say is that it’s important to start the game well and get the crowd with us. “It’s our responsibility to lift the crowd and get them behind us. If we go 1-0 up nothing changes – we just keep trying to get a positive result. “We’re not going into the game thinking about protecting a 1-0 lead, we’re going to win and treating the game separate to the first leg. “We’re at home and we’ve spoken before about being difficult to beat at Ibrox. The crowd are educated, they know what we are trying to do and I’m sure they will be with us from start to finish and that will be a huge help to the players. “It’s our responsibility to give them something. In the first half against Wigan we waited for the supporters, the game and the opposition. “We can’t accept that. We have to start the game more aggressively. Gers have a one-goal lead thanks to MorelosWillie Vass “I think nerves are good and nerves mean that you are involved in big football matches. Nerves are part of the buzz for me. “We want the fans to get behind the team, enjoy the night and take the roof off. “In terms of messages, I don’t think I should give them a message. “I think my players should give them a message in the opening stages of the game and start well and play at an intensity and play some nice football.” Osijek have had plenty to say following last week’s 1-0 first leg defeat. On Sunday they defeated Hadjuk Split 4-1 — a team Osijek boss Zoran Zekic rates higher than Rangers. But Gerrard would not be drawn into a war of words with his Euro rivals, insisting: “I think they are very dangerous opponents, they’ve got good players. “We’ve spoken to the players over the last few days and warned them about the threat this team carries, about ow important it is to go in with a clean slate and a fresh mentality, forget we’ve a slight advantage. Gerrard says his players look sharpWillie Vass “We have to go toe-to-toe and front up this challenge in isolation. If we do that and play the way we can, I’m confident we’ll get the right result. “They do like to play very attacking and won the game at the weekend 4-1 and played very similar to the way they played us, even though they were away from home so we have to expect them to come and be confident. If they are confident then great. “We can’t control what comes out of them, all we can do is be respectful to them and their team. We tried to be like that for the first leg and we will be that way for any opposition. “Whether we are confident, we will always respect the opposition. My focus is what comes out of my camp and we’re looking good. “We have looked sharp and I’m delighted with the second-half performance at the weekend and I believe we are in a good place.” Gerrard is determined to make Ibrox a fortress again but knows the first step to making that happen is seeing the upcoming Euro tie through. RELATED STORIES SECOND CHANCE Former Rangers target Kean Bryan being lined up for move to Sheffield United ‘BANKER’ Punter backs Rangers to win Scots Premiership in £1 bet that would earn him £600k BIRTHDAY DRINK Ex-Rangers ace Jason Cummings celebrates turning 23 - with coffee and cake RANGERS PREVIEW Ian Crocker on Old Firm title race, Gerrard’s signings and trophy ambitions iron brew Gerrard helped me through my racial abuse hell says Liverpool kid Brewster MUD FIGHT Gerrard hits back after being branded a 'tiny man’ by Osijek’s Robert Mudrazija He added: “I think teams coming to Ibrox felt confident that they could beat what was in front of them. “I believe we are a different Rangers team. There have been a lot of personnel changes. I think the mentality and confidence has changed in a short space of time. “I have confidence that the standards have been raised. “We can’t be a soft touch any more and having teams coming to Ibrox and dominating and controlling us in our own stadium. That can’t be accepted. ON THE ROAD BACK Lee Wallace and Jordan Rossiter back in light training for Rangers “We are not just looking for talent. We are looking for the right type of person to bring in. “We want players with a winning mentality. We want characters. We want players who want to play, who can still deliver under the pressure. Talent is not enough at this level.” Keep up to date with ALL the latest news, transfers and goals from Scottish football plus fixtures, results and live match commentary

Source: Scottish Sun, News

Search:

close